WhatsApp has pulled the plug on support for smartphones running older versions of Android, iOS and Windows Phone operating systems. WhatsApp has announced its plan to stop supporting older versions of these mobile OSes in order to divert the resources to newer versions.
WhatsApp will not work on smartphones running Android 2.2 or lower, iOS 6.0 or lower and Windows Phone 7. While WhatsApp is withdrawing support, the effect won't be as averse since these OSes have very limited market share. According to Google's Dashboard, most Android phones are either running KitKat or later. In the world of Apple, only less than 8 percent of devices are running iOS version older than iOS 9.
WhatsApp is also withdrawing support for Windows Phone 7 and considering very limited activity in that space, it is easier to assume that existing device would be already running Windows Phone 8.1 or later. WhatsApp has also announced plans to stop supporting devices based on Nokia's Symbian or BlackBerry OS platforms on June 30, 2017. WhatsApp says these ecosystems "don't offer the kind of capabilities we need to expand our app's features in the future."
WhatsApp continues to grow as the most used messaging platform on mobile. The service is being used by over 1 billion users and now offers support for video calling, document sharing among many other features.
Other Popular Deals
- The 10 best job hunting apps on AndroidTop 10 Android launchers (December 2016)
- The 10 scariest horror games on AndroidAndroid app stores: 5 best alternatives to Google Play Store
- Best Android apps for rooted devices18 apps for a memorable Valentine's Day
- Top 15 Android games that you should playThe 20 best looking games for mobile phones
- 8 Android apps to tickle your funny bone17 must have apps for any Android device (plus alternatives)
- 5 apps to get the Android Lollipop look on your smartphoneTake control of your Android device with these apps
- 7 weird and strange apps for your Smartphone10 neat Google apps you may not know of
- 10 essential Indian apps for Android devicesPerfect Viewer