WhatsApp, that showed double check marks if a sent message had been received, now turns those check marks blue if the message has been read.
WhatsApp's FAQ section explains that the feature will be implemented in group chat and broadcast messages as well. The two checkmarks will turn blue after every participant within the group has read the message. This feature has been pushed over-the-air to both iOS and Android versions of the app and is not part of any update.
According to reports, WhatsApp will also be adding VOIP (Voice over IP) capabilities soon. The feature was spotted on WhatsApp's iOS app in the company's latest update for the iPhone on September 8. The feature will allow the messaging app's 600 million users to make free calls over WiFi and cellular. WhatsApp's CEO Jan Kuom had confirmed the free voice calling feature in February this year post Facebook's acquisition and stated that it will be launched on Android and iOS, followed by BlackBerry, Nokia and Microsoft's platforms.
WhatsApp recently announced that it has over 70 million active users in India, making it one if the biggest markets for the messaging app. Neeraj Arora, vice-president of WhatsApp, said at the fifth annual INK Conference in Mumbai, "We have 70 million active users here who use the application at least once a month.”
Source: 9to5 Mac
Other Popular Deals
- The 10 best job hunting apps on AndroidTop 10 Android launchers (June 2017)
- The 10 scariest horror games on AndroidAndroid app stores: 5 best alternatives to Google Play Store
- Best Android apps for rooted devices18 apps for a memorable Valentine's Day
- Top 15 Android games that you should playThe 20 best looking games for mobile phones
- 8 Android apps to tickle your funny bone17 must have apps for any Android device (plus alternatives)
- 5 apps to get the Android Lollipop look on your smartphoneTake control of your Android device with these apps
- 7 weird and strange apps for your Smartphone10 neat Google apps you may not know of
- 10 essential Indian apps for Android devicesPerfect Viewer