Facebook owned WhatsApp now has over 70 million active users in India, making it one if the biggest markets for the messaging app.
Neeraj Arora, a vice-president with WhatsApp, stated that India has over a 10th of the company's global user base of 600 million active users. India is one of the biggest markets for WhatsApp, he said, adding that connecting billions of people in markets like Brazil and India is the main focus of the company.
“We have 70 million active users here who use the application at least once a month,” Arora, a vice-president with WhatsApp, said at the fifth annual INK Conference in Mumbai.
Arora stated that the messaging apps user-base has doubled to 600 million from 30 million in the last three years. He added that the company has flourished because of its focus on the product, rather than the business side of things.
"The founders wanted to develop a cool product which will be used by millions and did not have business things like valuations," he said, adding that this remains the motto of the company.
Facebook acquired WhatsApp in a cool USD 19-billion deal earlier this year. Arora states that WhatsApp continues to hold a distinct identity even after the takeover by Facebook and will not get merged with the social networking giant. He added that the company's 80 employees, will benefit through learnings from the social networking giant.
WhatsApp CEO Jan Kuom had confirmed back in February that the app will get a voice calling feature for Android and iOS, followed by BlackBerry nd WIndows Phone. The much awaited voice calling feature was spotted in the app's latest update released for iPhone on September 8.
Other Popular Deals
- Top 10 Android launchers (December 2016)The 10 best job hunting apps on Android
- The 10 scariest horror games on AndroidAndroid app stores: 5 best alternatives to Google Play Store
- Best Android apps for rooted devices18 apps for a memorable Valentine's Day
- Top 15 Android games that you should playThe 20 best looking games for mobile phones
- 8 Android apps to tickle your funny bone17 must have apps for any Android device (plus alternatives)
- 5 apps to get the Android Lollipop look on your smartphoneTake control of your Android device with these apps
- 7 weird and strange apps for your Smartphone10 neat Google apps you may not know of
- 10 essential Indian apps for Android devicesPerfect Viewer