Twitter may expand its character limit to 10,000 characters. According to Re/code the company may launch this new feature by the end of the first quarter of this year. Sources have also told the website that there is no official launch day and that the possible character limit could fluctuate by the time Twitter launches the product.
Re/code says that Twitter is currently testing a version of the product in which only 140 characters of the expanded tweet are displayed along with a ‘call to action’ that there is additional content that is hidden. Clicking on these tweets would expand them to reveal the entire content. The idea behind this design is to keep the same look, although sources have said that this design is not final. Twitter is also figuring out a way to deal with potential spamming issues that that may arise with this feature. The company may choose to limit the number of users that can be mentioned in a single tweet. Twitter may also be planning to talk to some of its analytics and measurement partners to prepare them to handle the longer tweets later this month.
Back in September last year, Re/code had reported that the company is working on a new product that will allow users to publish longer tweets. Interim CEO, Jack Dorsey has been pushing to go beyond the 140 character limit. One senior employee had said, “People have been very precious at Twitter about what Twitter can be and how much it can be evolved. Having Jack come in and say it’s okay makes all the difference in the world.”
The 140-character limit is one of Twitter’s trademark features. However, the company has been experiencing removing that limit in order to grow its user base. In August last year, the company had extended the character limit in Direct Messages to 10,000 characters. Back in 2014, the company had announced the ‘retweet with comment feature’. In this feature, the original tweet would be shown in a card and would allow the user the full 140 characters to respond.
Other Popular Deals
- The 10 best job hunting apps on AndroidTop 10 Android launchers (June 2017)
- The 10 scariest horror games on AndroidAndroid app stores: 5 best alternatives to Google Play Store
- Best Android apps for rooted devices18 apps for a memorable Valentine's Day
- Top 15 Android games that you should playThe 20 best looking games for mobile phones
- 8 Android apps to tickle your funny bone17 must have apps for any Android device (plus alternatives)
- 5 apps to get the Android Lollipop look on your smartphoneTake control of your Android device with these apps
- 7 weird and strange apps for your Smartphone10 neat Google apps you may not know of
- 10 essential Indian apps for Android devicesPerfect Viewer