Tinder, the popular dating app, has launched a new ‘Social’ feature in India. The new group dating feature will be available in India through an update to the Tinder app, starting today. Tinder Social is an attempt by the company to make the app more of a social media platform, moving away from its current hook-up format.
Tinder Social was first rolled out to a small group of users in Australia. The feature enables Tinderites to form groups with their friends on the app, and meet other like minded groups of people. Each group can be created by selecting 1-3 friends and a user cannot create more than one group. Users can also assign status messages to their groups, along with an option of choosing from a variety of suggested activities like “Going to a concert tonight,” “Girl’s night out,” “Comedy Night,” “Sunday Funday” or “Happy Hour, anyone?”
A mutual right swipe of the groups, merges them together, giving users the ability to chat and plan outings with members of the merged group. The creator of the group can 'end group' at any time, which expires the group. Alternatively, if all the members of the group leave, it automatically expires. According to Tinder, group matches also expire "at noon the next day," which seems like quite a strange timeline. However, the sad part is that there is no separate tab for Tinder Social on the app. All the group profiles are bundled with individual profiles, so you would really have to be careful before swiping right on a picture and finding yourself on an awkward group date. For those not into group dating, there is also an option of opting out of being added to groups by simply turning the feature off from the settings menu.
“Tinder Social is designed to make it as easy as possible to plan your night, get out into the real world and meet new people. The new feature takes the Tinder experience to a new level, offering our users more ways to expand their social circles and interact with potential matches,” said Sean Rad, CEO, Tinder. Commenting on the development, Taru Kapoor, Head – India for Tinder, said, “We’re excited to bring Tinder Social to India – this feature offers a simple, fun way for our users to continue seeking new experiences and forging meaningful connections.”
Tinder Social is now live in India, US,UK,Canada, Australia and New Zealand. We are not really sure how well this feature will work in India, given that social media in the country is synonymous with Facebook. Group outings here are usually planned on WhatsApp, whereas Tinder has already established itself as a dating app. What will becomes of Tinder Social, only time will tell. Until then, let us know what you think of the new feature. Are you up for some group dating?
Other Popular Deals
- Top 10 Android launchers (December 2016)The 10 best job hunting apps on Android
- The 10 scariest horror games on AndroidAndroid app stores: 5 best alternatives to Google Play Store
- Best Android apps for rooted devices18 apps for a memorable Valentine's Day
- Top 15 Android games that you should playThe 20 best looking games for mobile phones
- 8 Android apps to tickle your funny bone17 must have apps for any Android device (plus alternatives)
- 5 apps to get the Android Lollipop look on your smartphoneTake control of your Android device with these apps
- 7 weird and strange apps for your Smartphone10 neat Google apps you may not know of
- 10 essential Indian apps for Android devicesPerfect Viewer