Samsung has confirmed that it is shutting down its ChatOn Messaging service in February next year. The electronics giant has advised users to save their chat records, photos and videos shared via app before the app is shut down.
Last month reports of Samsung planning to close its ChatON service emerged, when Korea Times stated that Samsung officials had claimed that the company plans to close the instant messaging service "to restructure unprofitable businesses and improve profitability". An official was quoted as saying, "ChatON isn't a business that can show improvement in the future."
Samsung had denied rumors that it was shutting down it service. However, the electronics giant has now issued a statement to Engadget, which read, "On February 1, 2015, ChatON will be discontinued in all markets except the United States, as we strive to meet evolving consumer needs by focusing on our core services. We remain committed to offering services that cater to our consumers' lifestyles and add value to their everyday lives."
The ChatON messaging app was preloaded on all Samsung Galaxy smartphonesWhere to buy 4875. Samsung had claimed in 2013 that its ChatON app had 100 million users worldwide, however the service was not as popular as Samsung claimed. According to a recent survey showed that users spent only six seconds per month on ChatOn, as compared with 11 hours on Facebook and over an hour on Instagram. The free messaging app couldn't catch up with its rival messaging apps like Line, WeChat and WhatsApp.
Other Popular Deals
- The 10 best job hunting apps on AndroidTop 10 Android launchers (June 2017)
- The 10 scariest horror games on AndroidAndroid app stores: 5 best alternatives to Google Play Store
- Best Android apps for rooted devices18 apps for a memorable Valentine's Day
- Top 15 Android games that you should playThe 20 best looking games for mobile phones
- 8 Android apps to tickle your funny bone17 must have apps for any Android device (plus alternatives)
- 5 apps to get the Android Lollipop look on your smartphoneTake control of your Android device with these apps
- 7 weird and strange apps for your Smartphone10 neat Google apps you may not know of
- 10 essential Indian apps for Android devicesPerfect Viewer