A recent study has confirmed that India's app downloads will grow from 1.56 billion per annum in 2012 to 9 billion by 2015 a growth of 75 percent CAGR. The study also revealed that most of the apps are downloaded by people in the age group of 16 and 30 years.
The Digitisation and Mobility study was conducted by Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry of India (Assocham) and Deloitte. The report stated that the number will increase at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of about 75 percent. The study highlighted that the change was brought by social media campaign during the 2014 Lok Sabha elections, where 29 million people made 227 million interactions on Facebook. The report stated that about 60 million tweets were posted from the day the polls were announced to the day balloting ended.
According to the report, telecom companies have seen a dramatic growth in mobile TV with 400 percent increase in viewership. Internet data traffic is expected to rise from 41 percent in 2011-12 to 64 percent in 2016-17.Assocham secretary general D.S. Rawat stated, "Mobile TV registered a 400 percent growth rate in viewership for the country’s largest telecom companies as more Indians watched TV on the go. YouTube, the most popular video app is accessed by 35 percent of smartphone users who spend almost 1.5 hours a month on it.”
However, the study states that India being a price sensitive society, people don't want to pay for mobile games and downloading large file-sized games or apps despite cheap gaming rates and mobile internet plans. Monetisation has become a big issue for both the local and global mobile game developers entering the Indian market.
India is expected to surpass US and become the second biggest Internet population in 2014, but internet connectivity in India is still poor. A recent AKAMAI 'State of the Internet' quarterly report has revealed that India has the slowest Internet speed in Asia Pacific and ranks 118th worldwide.
Other Popular Deals
- The 10 best job hunting apps on AndroidTop 10 Android launchers (December 2016)
- The 10 scariest horror games on AndroidAndroid app stores: 5 best alternatives to Google Play Store
- Best Android apps for rooted devices18 apps for a memorable Valentine's Day
- Top 15 Android games that you should playThe 20 best looking games for mobile phones
- 8 Android apps to tickle your funny bone17 must have apps for any Android device (plus alternatives)
- 5 apps to get the Android Lollipop look on your smartphoneTake control of your Android device with these apps
- 7 weird and strange apps for your Smartphone10 neat Google apps you may not know of
- 10 essential Indian apps for Android devicesPerfect Viewer