A GlobalWebIndex study reveals that WhatsApp dominates the Indian market with 70 million users, while China's WeChat is the fastest growing mobile messaging app. The report also reveals that instant messaging apps have seen a growth of 113 per cent since 2013.
The GlobalWebIndex report was conducted across 32 markets involving 170,000 internet users. The study shows that 52 per cent of Indian instant messaging users are on WhatsApp, while 42 per cent use Facebook Messenger, 37 per cent use Skype, WeChat has a 26 per cent share in the market and Viber with 18 per cent market share is in the fifth spot. Read: India to have over 300 mln internet users by December 2014: Study
The study states that WeChat's user base has jumped a massive 2,364 per cent since January, making it the fourth most popular messaging app in India. However, the Indian government had discussed a ban on Chinese instant messaging app WeChat last year due to security concerns.
In the Asia Pacific region, WeChat was the dominant messaging app with 337 million users, however WhatsApp with 70 million users led the pack in India. The study revealed that most of the messaging app users were young, from affluent families and 79 percent of them owned a smartphone.
“In the last year, the Indian mobile messaging audience grew by 113 per cent, we expect the number of mobile messaging users to continue to grow in the coming quarters,” Mr. Mander said.
The report also revealed that the increasing popularity of messaging apps is driving users away from social networking sites such as Facebook. “Mobile messaging tools like WeChat and WhatsApp have seen substantial growth during recent period. Social networks are being treated more passively, meaning the number of people messaging friends on social networks has declined. People see mobile messaging apps as an efficient way to communicate,” explained GlobalWebIndex Head of Trends Jason Mander.
Other Popular Deals
- Top 10 Android launchers (December 2016)The 10 best job hunting apps on Android
- The 10 scariest horror games on AndroidAndroid app stores: 5 best alternatives to Google Play Store
- Best Android apps for rooted devices18 apps for a memorable Valentine's Day
- Top 15 Android games that you should playThe 20 best looking games for mobile phones
- 8 Android apps to tickle your funny bone17 must have apps for any Android device (plus alternatives)
- 5 apps to get the Android Lollipop look on your smartphoneTake control of your Android device with these apps
- 7 weird and strange apps for your Smartphone10 neat Google apps you may not know of
- 10 essential Indian apps for Android devicesPerfect Viewer