Instagram, which is a widely popular photo sharing app across the three major platforms has now come with a standalone secondary app for Android and iOS, called Boomerang. It makes looping GIF like videos just like the Live Photo feature Apple showcased recently on iOS. The videos produced are just three seconds long and do not contain any sound.
It is a dead simple app and requires no login at all. The Boomerang app does not have a settings or options button. Once installed, the app opens up in the camera with a shutter button. Just aim the camera towards the subject and press it. The app takes five simultaneous pictures in burst mode for just over a second, stitches them and creates a seamless looping video. Once created, Boomerangs can then be shared directly on Instagram, Facebook and other supported social channels.
Also, sharing the Boomerang videos on Instagram or Facebook will allow users to edit the video accordingly via the respective apps. So, you will be able to put filters on it, if you are sharing the video on instagram. Besides this, instagram does support video sharing on its own but that feature is a vine competitor.
Adding to this, Boomerang isn’t a vine competitor. Boomerangs videos are just three seconds long and does not support sound. Whereas Vine videos are commonly scripted, are 15 seconds long and do feature sound. This isn’t a new approach, Instagram has been foraying into other categories as well with apps like Hyperlapse which came out previously. Hyperlapse, which is only available for iOS devices, quite simply makes time-lapse videos. Then, there was the layout app via which one could make picture collages.
There is no denying that the app does takes inspiration from various other apps which have been around for quite some time now, like the Google Photos animation. The Google Animation feature works similarly and automatically converts pictures taken in burst mode into GIFs.
Other Popular Deals
- The 10 best job hunting apps on AndroidTop 10 Android launchers (June 2017)
- The 10 scariest horror games on AndroidAndroid app stores: 5 best alternatives to Google Play Store
- Best Android apps for rooted devices18 apps for a memorable Valentine's Day
- Top 15 Android games that you should playThe 20 best looking games for mobile phones
- 8 Android apps to tickle your funny bone17 must have apps for any Android device (plus alternatives)
- 5 apps to get the Android Lollipop look on your smartphoneTake control of your Android device with these apps
- 7 weird and strange apps for your Smartphone10 neat Google apps you may not know of
- 10 essential Indian apps for Android devicesPerfect Viewer