Google started rolling out Google Maps smartphone app to version 8.2 last week. According to reports, Google is testing a new dedicated 'Explore Nearby' button with the same update.
The new Explore Nearby option's dedicated button was spotted by Artem Russakovskii, a Google+ user who posted a screenshot of the option. Google Map users who are unable to see the dedicated button, can access it via the Search interface.
The dedicated Explore Nearby button has been placed alongside the GPS button at the bottom right corner of the screen. By tapping on the Explore Nearby button, the app will give them details about their current location, nearby places of interest as well as weather conditions. It also shows different places of interest for different times of the day - such as Evening, Night and Late Night. Users also have an option to see an 'Anytime' feature that shows all the possible options at once.
According to reports, only select users have been issued the dedicated Explore Nearby button with the Google Maps 8.2 update and the feature will be rolled out gradually in the coming weeks. Other changes the 8.2 update brings include voice controls for vehicle navigation inside the app and elevation information for bicyclists.
Earlier this week Google announced the support for Maps in Hindi to cater to the 40 crore (400 million) Hindi speakers in India. The option is currently available for only popular places of interest and for turn-by-turn text navigation. Suren Ruhela, director product and program management, Google, stated that the internet giant is also planning to launch voice based navigation prompts in Hindi soon.
Other Popular Deals
- The 10 best job hunting apps on AndroidTop 10 Android launchers worth trying out (2016)
- The 10 scariest horror games on AndroidAndroid app stores: 5 best alternatives to Google Play Store
- Best Android apps for rooted devices18 apps for a memorable Valentine's Day
- Top 15 Android games that you should playThe 20 best looking games for mobile phones
- 8 Android apps to tickle your funny bone17 must have apps for any Android device (plus alternatives)
- 5 apps to get the Android Lollipop look on your smartphoneTake control of your Android device with these apps
- 7 weird and strange apps for your Smartphone10 neat Google apps you may not know of
- 10 essential Indian apps for Android devicesPerfect Viewer