Flipkart has announced that its app has become the first Indian app to cross the 50 million installs landmark on the Play Store. The company says that the landmark was crossed in the first week of February this year. In addition, Flipkart claims that its app is the highest rated Indian shopping app on the Google Play Store and the first Indian app across all genres to cross the 50 million installs mark.Â
Read the complete press release below
Flipkart has become the first Indian app to cross the 50 million installs landmark on Google Android Play Store. This landmark was crossed in the first week of February 2016.
The Flipkart app, which is also the highest rated Indian shopping app on Google Play, is the first Indian app across all genres including popular ones like communication, social, entertainment, to cross the 50 million install benchmark. Android phones are the most dominant operating system in smartphones with over 85% of the total smartphone base in India.
This landmark follows the SimilarWeb report that ranked Flipkart as Indiaâs numero uno shopping app with 47% of the share of visits. In the SimilarWeb report, the combined traffic share of Flipkart and Myntra stood at an overwhelming 63%. Amazon was in the third position with 15.86% followed by Snapdeal with 13.84%.
The Morgan Stanley report on Ecommerce in India for 2016 has placed Flipkart as the undisputed number one ecommerce company in India with a dominant market share of 45%. According to the report, Flipkartâs market share of 45% is equivalent to the combined market share of the next three players (Snapdeal, Amazon and Paytm). Interestingly, Flipkart is the only e-commerce company to report a gain in market share from the 2015 Morgan Stanley report to the 2016 report. The market share of Snapdeal declined from 32% to 26% while that of Amazon went down from 15% Â to 12%. Flipkartâs market share showed an increase from 44% in 2015 to 45% in 2016.
The Indian ecommerce market is overwhelmingly mobile-led with around 70% percent of traffic coming from mobile devices. The 2016 Morgan Stanley report expects internet penetration to double by 2020 and the number of total online shoppers to reach the 320 million mark by the same year.
Other Popular Deals
- The 10 best job hunting apps on AndroidTop 10 Android launchers worth trying out (2016)
- The 10 scariest horror games on AndroidAndroid app stores: 5 best alternatives to Google Play Store
- Best Android apps for rooted devices18 apps for a memorable Valentine's Day
- Top 15 Android games that you should playThe 20 best looking games for mobile phones
- 8 Android apps to tickle your funny bone17 must have apps for any Android device (plus alternatives)
- 5 apps to get the Android Lollipop look on your smartphoneTake control of your Android device with these apps
- 7 weird and strange apps for your Smartphone10 neat Google apps you may not know of
- 10 essential Indian apps for Android devicesPerfect Viewer