Facebook may be working on a Messenger app for the Mac. A report by TechCrunch shows a blurry photograph of what it claims is a Facebook employee using the app on a Mac. The report also says that Facebook has declined to provide a statement saying, “We don’t comment on rumor or speculation.”
Releasing an official Facebook Messenger application for Mac could make it easier for people to chat on their Mac devices. Instead of having to visit the Facebook tab whenever they get a chat notification, they could quickly access it from the Dock. However, Facebook does not have successful record of releasing applications for the desktop. The Facebook Messenger app for Windows was shut down back in March 2014. Before its shutdown, users received a message which stated, “We’re sorry, but we can no longer support Facebook Messenger for Windows, and it will stop working on March 3, 2014.” A few months before this, the company had also shut down its email service citing low usage. Those who were using the service received a message telling them that the emails to their Facebook account would be directed to the primary address listed in their email accounts.
It was earlier reported that the Facebook is aiming to push the messenger application into a complete chat platform. The initiative was reportedly inspired by apps like Line, WeChat, etc. In June last year, Facebook started rolling out an update which allowed users to user the Messenger app without syncing it to their Facebook account. Users could download the app and choose the ‘Not on Facebook’ option and sign up with their phone numbers. It was also reported that the company was incorporating a payments feature in the Messenger app which would allow users in the US to send money to each other. In addition, Facebook is testing its upcoming digital assistant ‘M’ via the Messenger app. A small group of users in San Francisco can access the service by tapping a button located at the bottom of the application.
Other Popular Deals
- The 10 best job hunting apps on AndroidTop 10 Android launchers worth trying out (2016)
- The 10 scariest horror games on AndroidAndroid app stores: 5 best alternatives to Google Play Store
- Best Android apps for rooted devices18 apps for a memorable Valentine's Day
- Top 15 Android games that you should playThe 20 best looking games for mobile phones
- 8 Android apps to tickle your funny bone17 must have apps for any Android device (plus alternatives)
- 5 apps to get the Android Lollipop look on your smartphoneTake control of your Android device with these apps
- 7 weird and strange apps for your Smartphone10 neat Google apps you may not know of
- 10 essential Indian apps for Android devicesPerfect Viewer