Facebook may be developing a standalone camera app, according to a report by the Wall Street Journal. As per the report, a prototype of the app developed by the company opens directly to the camera and may also allow users to start live streaming directly though the app. Sources told the publication that the aim of the app is to motivate users to create and share more photos and videos on the social media network.
This move could be in response to the increasing passive behaviour by users on Facebook. The report notes that while many users check Facebook daily, or even multiple times a day, many do not share photos, videos or status updates as frequently. Back in 2014, the company launched a separate app called Slingshot that allowed users to share videos and photos with their friends. Images and videos shared via the app would disappear after a while. However, the app has since been removed from the App Store and Google Play Store.
Earlier this month, the company updated Facebook Live in order to encourage more users to discover, share, and interact with live videos. The update added a dedicated tab for Facebook Live on the mobile app. In addition, users can now go live on Facebook Groups and Events. Viewers can now also express their feelings about the video in real time using Live reactions. Facebook also announced that it will release the API for its live streaming feature. This will allow developers to include Facebook Live streaming directly into specific apps or devices.
Other Popular Deals
- The 10 best job hunting apps on AndroidTop 10 Android launchers (June 2017)
- The 10 scariest horror games on AndroidAndroid app stores: 5 best alternatives to Google Play Store
- Best Android apps for rooted devices18 apps for a memorable Valentine's Day
- Top 15 Android games that you should playThe 20 best looking games for mobile phones
- 8 Android apps to tickle your funny bone17 must have apps for any Android device (plus alternatives)
- 5 apps to get the Android Lollipop look on your smartphoneTake control of your Android device with these apps
- 7 weird and strange apps for your Smartphone10 neat Google apps you may not know of
- Perfect Viewer10 essential Indian apps for Android devices