Facebook has launched a new app called Slingshot, which is similar to Snapchat and allows users to share videos and photos with their friends. However, the only way in which recipients will be able to see the messages sent through Slingshot is if they share something back. The app is officially available for Android and iOS users in US.
Slingshot lets you send photos and 15 second videos to multiple contacts. The content once viewed disappears, but you can auto-save what you have created. Users can find friends on Facebook or through their phone’s contacts. The app comes with playful background music and comic sound effects. The unique feature of the app is “reply to unlock,” that may be a fun incentive for people to keep sharing, though some users may even perceive it to be an unnecessary hassle.
“Everyone is a creator and no one is a spectator”, says product manager Will Ruben, "and that makes it different from Snapchat."
Slingshot has a 'Select All' button also that lets you send a photo to all of your friends at once, a feature that was much requested on Snapchat. The app feels like a news feed with notifications than a messaging app.
"It’s not just about telling your story, it’s about asking others for their story," says Slingshot designer Joey Flynn. "We don’t see this as a messaging app. It’s more along the lines of a feed or stream of content because of that pay-to-play mechanic."
Facebook had accidently released Slingshot for iOS last week, but soon withdrew it from the app store stating, "the app will be will ready soon".
Other Popular Deals
- The 10 best job hunting apps on AndroidTop 10 Android launchers (December 2016)
- The 10 scariest horror games on AndroidAndroid app stores: 5 best alternatives to Google Play Store
- Best Android apps for rooted devices18 apps for a memorable Valentine's Day
- Top 15 Android games that you should playThe 20 best looking games for mobile phones
- 8 Android apps to tickle your funny bone17 must have apps for any Android device (plus alternatives)
- 5 apps to get the Android Lollipop look on your smartphoneTake control of your Android device with these apps
- 7 weird and strange apps for your Smartphone10 neat Google apps you may not know of
- 10 essential Indian apps for Android devicesPerfect Viewer