Facebook has agreed to stop using WhatsApp data from users in the UK, says Britain's privacy watchdog, the Information Commissioner's Office. As part of this deal, Facebook has agreed that it won't use data from UK users of its WhatsApp messaging app for ads or product improvement. Britain's privacy watchdog earlier said that consumers weren't properly protected when WhatsApp decided to share users' data with its parent company, Facebook. It added that the social media giant will face action if it uses such data without valid consent.
"We’ve set out the law clearly to Facebook, and we’re pleased that they’ve agreed to pause using data from UK WhatsApp users for advertisements or product improvement purposes," said Elizabeth Denham, UK Information Commissioner. The ICO said that it has asked Facebook and WhatsApp to sign an undertaking to better explain how customer data will be used, thereby giving users ongoing control over that information.
"We think consumers deserve a greater level of information and protection, but so far Facebook hasn’t agreed. If Facebook starts using the data without valid consent, it may face enforcement action from my office," the head of the ICO, Elizabeth Denham, said in a statement.
Facebook, however, insists that the data WhatsApp collects is extremely limited, and only a part of the entire data is then shared with Facebook.
Other Popular Deals
- The 10 best job hunting apps on AndroidTop 10 Android launchers (June 2017)
- The 10 scariest horror games on AndroidAndroid app stores: 5 best alternatives to Google Play Store
- Best Android apps for rooted devices18 apps for a memorable Valentine's Day
- Top 15 Android games that you should playThe 20 best looking games for mobile phones
- 8 Android apps to tickle your funny bone17 must have apps for any Android device (plus alternatives)
- 5 apps to get the Android Lollipop look on your smartphoneTake control of your Android device with these apps
- 7 weird and strange apps for your Smartphone10 neat Google apps you may not know of
- 10 essential Indian apps for Android devicesPerfect Viewer