Baidu, the leading Chinese-language provider, has announced that its new version of its app store, MoboMarket, now has Beta support for multiple Indian languages. Supported languages include Bengali, Marathi, Tamil, and Urdu. MoboMarket added support for Hindi in November 2015. Along with built-in language updates, MoboMarket has also launched a campaign to crowd-source the translation of languages directly from its users.
Read the complete press release below
Leading Chinese-language search provider Baidu (NASDAQ: BIDU) today announced that its new version of MoboMarket will add Beta support for multiple Indian languages, including Bengali, Marathi, Tamil, and Urdu. MoboMarket added Hindi language support in November 2015, and the product team plans to include more Indian languages such as Telugu in the near future.
“Even though the tech industry in India is dominated by English, that language is just a tiny sliver when you consider India’s enormous linguistic diversity,” said Jeff Li, product director of MoboMarket. “Over 1,000 languages are spoken throughout India. Content in regional languages is in huge demand, and we’re going to keep working to bridge the language gap for more people,” he said. According to a 2001 census conducted by the Indian Ministry of Home Affairs, Bengali, Marathi, Tamil, Urdu and Telugu make up a combined 33% of the speaking population of India. Hindi is spoken by over 41% of the population.
Baidu aims to build a robust ecosystem of mobile product and services in India. By localizing MoboMarket with support for a wide range of languages, more developers and users will be able to take part. “Getting the interface translated is just our first step,” said Li. “Our longer-term goal is to unite users and developers to make the online content in India more diverse and compelling,” he said.
Along with the built-in language updates, MoboMarket has also launched a campaign to crowd-source the translation of other languages directly through its users.
MoboMarket is Baidu’s international Android marketplace for audiences outside of China. With a library of over 650,000 Android apps, it is a one-stop shop for apps, games and more. To learn more, visit www.mobomarket.net
Other Popular Deals
- The 10 best job hunting apps on AndroidTop 10 Android launchers worth trying out (2016)
- The 10 scariest horror games on AndroidAndroid app stores: 5 best alternatives to Google Play Store
- Best Android apps for rooted devices18 apps for a memorable Valentine's Day
- Top 15 Android games that you should playThe 20 best looking games for mobile phones
- 8 Android apps to tickle your funny bone17 must have apps for any Android device (plus alternatives)
- 5 apps to get the Android Lollipop look on your smartphoneTake control of your Android device with these apps
- 7 weird and strange apps for your Smartphone10 neat Google apps you may not know of
- 10 essential Indian apps for Android devicesPerfect Viewer