According to a Reuters source, Apple will soon deploy the subscriptions model for its native news app. The Apple news app was released back in September and was a replacement of Apple's Newsstand, which used to house magazines and newspapers. Now, according to the wire agency's sources, Apple is planning to offer consumers subscriptions to access paid content from publishers. This move will boost those publishers who charge for their content and also become a unique subscriber-only business model for Apple. Apple has yet not commented on the same and it is still unclear how Apple will approach new publishers to list their content on the News app. There is also no information on how users of the app will be charged to access paid content.
Currently, those publishers who have signed up with Apple's subscriber based model will be able to push out excerpts of their articles on the news app. The app will then redirect users to the publisher's own website for a complete access to the article. In October, Apple had announced that it had almost 40 million users reading Apple News. With this move, it looks like Apple is planning to take on Facebook's Instant Articles news service, which offers selective news content from publishers picked by Facebopok itself. Twitter also has a plan of going beyond the 140-character limit, to retain news-reading users on its own platform.
What is clear is that most tech companies, which have a content play in the market, want to retain as many users as they can on their own platforms. Quick read articles on these platforms are designed to keep current audiences engaged and attract new users as well. What is your favourite news service? Let us know in the comments section below.
Other Popular Deals
- Best Alternative Apps for your Android PhoneThe 10 best job hunting apps on Android
- The 10 scariest horror games on AndroidAndroid app stores: 5 best alternatives to Google Play Store
- Best Android apps for rooted devices18 apps for a memorable Valentine's Day
- Top 15 Android games that you should playThe 20 best looking games for mobile phones
- 8 Android apps to tickle your funny bone17 must have apps for any Android device (plus alternatives)
- 5 apps to get the Android Lollipop look on your smartphoneTake control of your Android device with these apps
- 7 weird and strange apps for your Smartphone10 neat Google apps you may not know of
- 10 essential Indian apps for Android devicesPerfect Viewer