Apple has changes the 'Free' moniker from apps and games in the App Store. Now the installation button for games and other apps that are free-to-play, but may have some in-app purchases, will be labeled as 'Get' instead of 'Free'. iOS apps and the games labeled with "Get" button will also feature a text label warning of in-app purchases.
According to reports, Free-to-play games and apps are the dominant business model in mobile app stores and represented nearly 98 percent of revenue on Google Play and 92 percent of all revenue on iOS in 2013. However users have claimed that these games manipulate players into making unnecessary purchases, which has led to scrutiny from organizations like the Federal Trade Commission, the European Commission and U.K. Office of Fair Trading.
Regulators have been pushing tech giants Apple, Google and Amazon to adopt stricter guidelines in how they promote and display free-to-play games with in-app purchases. Earlier this year, Apple and Google paid tens of millions of dollars to settle complaints from the Federal Trade Commission over in-app purchases
Earlier this year, Internet giant Google has also stated that it will stop using the word "free" when games contain in-app purchases. However some games like Candy Crush Saga, Clash of Clans and Farmville 2, are still labeled as "free." Amazon, who was hit with a similar complaint from the FTC, has refused to settle the claim.
Other Popular Deals
- Best Alternative Apps for your Android PhoneThe 10 best job hunting apps on Android
- The 10 scariest horror games on AndroidAndroid app stores: 5 best alternatives to Google Play Store
- Best Android apps for rooted devices18 apps for a memorable Valentine's Day
- Top 15 Android games that you should playThe 20 best looking games for mobile phones
- 8 Android apps to tickle your funny bone17 must have apps for any Android device (plus alternatives)
- 5 apps to get the Android Lollipop look on your smartphoneTake control of your Android device with these apps
- 7 weird and strange apps for your Smartphone10 neat Google apps you may not know of
- 10 essential Indian apps for Android devicesPerfect Viewer